Centennial park began as a Kauri forest, as did much of the area. The only evidence of this now is the remnants of a gum digger’s hut on the northern side, adjacent to the Kohekohe track.

The Park itself dates from 1884 when a 73 hectare recreation reserve was created and named in 1885 as the Takapuna Domain. From this time the park became a sort of product of the colonial body, one that saw the term ‘park’ in a very English sense. During WWII the valley was bulldozed to allow for the installation of bunkers and pill boxes. These historical sites can still be seen today, with a bunker buried at the 13th tee on the Pupuke Golf Course (established 1914) and another on the ridge of the Mamaku and Aberdeen tracks.

184 Beach Road, Campbells Bay View map

Website www.centennialparkbushsociety.org.nz